welcome

I have fibromyalgia, rheumatoid arthritis, and hypothyroidism & I've been able to lose over 175 pounds without surgery by following a High Fat/Low Carb "diet". Here I tell my story and share news about nutrition, metabolism, health, exercise, and changing your perceptions and habits so you can find the same amazing success that I have.

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Low carb and athletic performance

Robb Wolf talks about low carb and athletic performance today:

My Thoughts on Low Carb and Paleo, Part Deux

This article really hits home for me as last year (around March/April) when I attempted to "up my exercise" to lose more weight, specifically by doing more demanding weight lifting, I started to feel awful.   My hypothyroid symptoms returned, including dry skin, cold hands and feet, senstitivity to cold, thinning hair, fatigue, problems sleeping, brain fog and more.

My theory has been that I pushed the limit of low carb, that my body was demanding more carbs, and when I upped my carbs, I did feel better.  I didn't lose any more weight, but my thyroid symptoms and fatigue improved.  It took several weeks however.

Yes, I did see my doctor and have my thyroid checked but the "standard" thyroid tests weren't too unusual, not enough to match how awful I was feeling.

Which led me to believe it was how I was eating.  Especially because I was still doing weight lifting and felt like I had more muscle mass.

What Robb Wolf talks about is something I have been investigating, which is that too low of carb where you are very physically active is not good long term.  The theory is that "high output glycolytic" requires more carbs and I personally have found this to be true.

When I tried to cut back again in September, 2012, to try and lose more weight, my fatigue and thyroid symptoms returned, so I added back carbs again.  Again, it took me several weeks to start feeling better.

I don't believe this is as simple as needing more carbs, but eating more did help me feel better.  Unfortunately, it has not helped the weight loss either.  I think it's more complex than this.   I think alot goes into this, including body fat%, homrones such as thyroid, adrenals, and female ones, how long I was overweight and messed up my metabolism, and more.

I'm still figuring this out, but when even the low-carb and paleo advocates recognize that ketosis isn't the 100% answer for everyone, it backs up what I have been personally finding to be true.

No comments:

Post a Comment