welcome

I have fibromyalgia, rheumatoid arthritis, and hypothyroidism & I've been able to lose over 175 pounds without surgery by following a High Fat/Low Carb "diet". Here I tell my story and share news about nutrition, metabolism, health, exercise, and changing your perceptions and habits so you can find the same amazing success that I have.

Sunday, April 1, 2012

My Annual Cholesterol Screening

So I got my cholesterol tested this past week.  Like a good patient, I get this done annually, typically.

Here's this year's results (fasting):

Blood Pressure:  120/80 *
Glucose:  87
Triglycerides:  56
Total Cholesterol:  184
HDL:  61
LDL:  112

* I believe my diastolic is borderline due to mitral valve prolapse (yes, I do see a cardiologist for it).  Could also be due to hypothyroidism and/or still having about 30 or so pounds to a healthy BMI yet.  But it's always been high.   Systolic has improved as I've lost weight.

My numbers have typically been fairly decent, even at my heaviest weight.  The luck of genetics I think, but I bet they would have slowly gotten worse if I hadn't fixed my eating and weight issues when I did.  But HDL and Trigs have definitely improved tremendously since changing my eating.

My Triglycerides/HDL ratio is 0.905, which from what I'm reading is a better way to measure your cardiovascular risk.

So like most on a high fat/low carb gluten and wheat-free, sugar-free, junk-free, limited processed foods diet, my numbers are excellent.  And I eat a TON of fat (65-70% fo my daily intake, alot of it is saturated because I love beef).  I eat lots of veggies too, don't worry.  But definitely high fat, about 25% protein, about 1900-2100 calories a day.

I thought eating all this fat and calories were supposed to be bad for you, LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment